Does your business have the necessary tools in place to combat a cyber attack?
Well supported technology, purposeful training, and daily implementation all come into play when dealing with the potential of cybercrime. But unfortunately, many small businesses don’t take heed to the necessary precautions needed to reduce the risk of volatile cyber threats.
Why Isn’t Cybercrime Taken More Seriously Among Small Business?
A lack of capital to employ proper tech support, being unaware, and having an underestimation of their “small” business being compromised actually are the 3 typical reasons small businesses are neglectful when it comes to cyber attacks. Many business owners think, “What could they want with my business?” The answer is simple: everything. Additionally, these are also 3 very expensive reasons why small business entities are the most vulnerable targets and have the greatest to lose.
Total HIPAA stated, “Maybe understanding that the average cost of a data breach in the U.S. today is $225 per compromised record would help.” Still not convinced? In May of 2018, the FBI has made an official warning of foreign cyber attacks within the U.S. and how they particularly will affect small businesses.
Beef Up Your Cybersecurity
Of course, there are things you can do to combat cyber attacks, but these suggestions only work if they are continuously adapted into the everyday functionality of your business.
- Use encryption when transmitting PHI through email or by fax.
- Be watchful of suspicious emails. Don’t click on links or provide any private information. Awareness of apprehensive activity is most important.
- Use the maximum 256-bit cloud encryption to lessen the chances of a breach.
- Activate the firewalls for your networks.
- Change passwords every 90 days and don’t share them.
- Encrypt portable devices.
- Routinely back up all files.
- Limit the access of your business wifi to only approved staff.
To learn more about HIPAA regulation and Security be sure to follow up on Instagram for our #HIPAAHumpDay weekly tips and more!